Sometimes an employee's tax declaration needs updating when their circumstances change. These changes can include needing to update their Tax File Number (TFN) right through to changing their record to reflect that they no longer have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), Student Startup Loan (SSL) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt.
The Tax Declaration feature is where you update these details if they change, with the HR platform reflecting these changes throughout the entire platform. Meaning there is only one place you need to update tax declaration details if they change, and makes sure your employee records on the HR platform are always up to date.
Updating an employee's tax declaration requires you to have two-factor authentication enabled. You will also need to input your 2FA code before having access to the information if 24 hours have passed since your last input, your 2FA code.
The reason for this is because of the updated Australia Tax Office (ATO) Digital Service Provider (DSP) Operational Framework. Its focus is to strengthen digital security and decrease the risk of security violations. To read further information on the updated DSP framework, refer to the following page, for details on how to enable Two-Factor Authentication, refer to the following article.
We base the default access level on a per user basis and whether they have view, edit and delete access and excluding any changes made via our Custom Security feature.
- Click the People menu.
- Click the Employees List submenu.
- Select the employee that needs their details updated.
- Click the Tax Declaration tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Enter your Tax File Number into the Tax File Number field.
If you do not have a TFN, use the Reason drop-down to select why this is the case.
- Select only one of the following options from the Are You drop-down:
- An Australian resident for tax purposes.
- A foreign resident for tax purposes.
- A working holiday maker.
- Select either Yes or No for the following options:
- Do you want to claim the tax-free threshold for this payer?
- Do you have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), Student Startup Loan (SSL) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt?
- Do you have an accumulated Financial Supplement debt?
- Sign the form as completed in the Signature field.
You can click the Upload button to import your existing signature pad. The recommended size for your upload is 300 x 100 pixels.
When updating the tax section, an employee can view their digital signature and the timestamp. When editing the tax section, the platform provides the employee with a digital signature pad.
However, when an admin or owner is viewing the tax section on an employee's file, they only can view the timestamp of when the employee signed. When editing the tax section, the platform does not provide the admin or owner with the digital signature pad.
- Click the Submit button.
So you have now completed your tax declaration form and you are now wondering, what next can I do. There are two recommendations I would make on this front and they are:
- Managing assigned certifications | HR Employee File This feature allows your employees to complete their assigned certifications and update the data if it expires.
- Managing your bank account details | HR Employee File This feature allows you to add a bank account, specify the account number, and how much to pay into each of their accounts.