Integrating Employment Hero with your Xero platform makes Employment Hero your source of truth for information such as company settings, payroll settings, and employee file data. When you connect the two platforms, Employment Hero will import your organisation details, payroll settings, and employee files from your Xero platform automatically.
After this initial first connection, the data will only flow automatically from Employment Hero to your Xero platform, as this data connection is not bidirectional. So employment Hero becomes your source of truth, where you and your employees update details as they change, and once saved, those changes would automatically reflect in your Xero platform.
To read a complete breakdown of what fields and data points sync between Employment Hero and Xero, refer to the following article.
We base the default access level on a per user basis and whether they have view, edit and delete access and excluding any changes made via our Custom Security feature.
The below premise will walk you through how to connect to Xero platform.
- Click the Settings menu.
- Click the Add-Ons submenu.
- Click the Connect button.
Once you click the Connect button, we will redirect you to your Xero platform.
- Read the first page of the connecting to Xero payroll wizard.
- Once you have read, and actioned the first page, click the Start button.
- Read the second page of the connecting to Xero payroll wizard.
- Once you have read, and actioned the second page, click the Next button.
- Read the third page of the connecting to Xero Payroll wizard.
- Once you have read, and actioned the third page, click the Next button.
- Read the last page of the connecting to Xero Payroll wizard.
- Once you have read and actioned the last page, click the Connect Now button.
Once you click the Connect button, Employment Hero will redirect you to the Xero platform. If you need to change the email listed on the page, select the No option for the Is this Email Address Used in Your Own Employee File in Payroll question, followed by the Update button.
A pop-up will now show where you can enter your new email address; once this is done click the Save button. You will now receive an email with instruction on how to verify your new email address and start using this on your Emplyment Hero platform.
- Enter your username and password and click the Log In button.
- Enter your Two Factor Authentication number and click the Confirm button.
- Select the required Xero organisation and click the Allow Access button.
- Select the required organisation from the Company File Selection drop-down.
- Click the Select button.
Once Employment Hero has imported the data from Xero, you will see a status screen. From this page, you can see if there are any integration errors. If there are integration errors, you can click the View Conflicts button to see detailed information on the import conflicts.
The below premises will walk you through how to import your Xero data manually and also how to disconnect your Xero platform.
Employment Hero will import both your active and inactive leave categories from your Xero platform. However, Employment will disable any inactive leave categories imported from your Xero platform and these will not be viewable by your employees.
When importing Xero pay slips into Employment Hero, the information displayed will differ. To read further details on what these changes are, refer to the How does Employment Hero display Xero Payslips premise under the Further Information section of this article.
- Click the Settings menu.
- Click the Add-ons submenu.
- Click the Actions button.
- Click the Update button.
- Click the Update from Payroll button.
- Select the required pay slip from the Pay Slip drop-down.
- Click the Import button.
The Payslips section will now show a green Updated button and this means Employment Hero has successfully imported your Xero data.
After disconnecting from Xero, the HR platform will no longer synchronise your employee data between the two platforms. However, all existing employee data will remain within the HR platform.
Employment Hero will check once a day for eligible pay slips and requires two conditions to import pay slips automatically from Xero; they are:
- A posted pay run.
- The payment date is within three days of the current date, i.e., four days prior and/or four days after the current date.
Employment Hero will update an employee's leave balance each time a new pay slip imports from Xero over to Employment Hero. This payslip import process can either be an automatic or manual process depending on the urgency needed with having payslips available to your employees.
The only time the Leave feature in Employment Hero will automatically import your leave balances from your Xero platform is when an approved leave request syncs over from Employment Hero to your Xero platform.
Xero pay slips imported into Employment Hero:
- Will only show the employee's default pay category under the Earnings section.
- Will only show the pay rate under the Earnings section.
- Will not show Year To Date (YTD) earnings, taxes, or superannuation.
- Will not show leave balances.
- Will not show leave taken.
- Will not show payment details.
- Will not display payslip notes.
- Will merge the below information into a summary section:
So you have now integrated your Xero platform and you are now wondering what next can I do. There are two recommendations I would make on this front and they are:
- Leave balance visibility | Xero Guide This guide walks you through how to customise your employee's leave balance visibility in your Employment Hero platform.
- Common Xero Import Conflicts This section contains a range of error resolution articles that cover common import conflicts our clients run into when syncing their Xero data.